Martial Arts and the Benefits For Children with ASD
Martial Arts, even though not considered a “sport”, provides many physical benefits for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. It is said that children with ASD have difficulties with social interaction and communication with peers within a social setting. Some children may also display “obsessive” repetitive words, phrases and movements. However, you may think “well Martial Arts involves repetitive sequences and movements, how is that helpful?” Martial Arts provides many benefits for children with ASD by;
- Assisting with improvement of concentration. During Martial Arts training, children will practice paying attention to the instructor throughout the class. This helps improve concentration outside of Martial Arts.
- Repetitive movements and sequences may help decrease “obsessive” repetitive behaviors, disruptive behaviors and harmful behaviors.
- It also helps children release energy and tension that will help decrease disruptive behaviors.
- Martial Arts helps teach children about body movement and control, which in returns helps with motor skills, improves core strength and decreases unhealthy weight gain.
- Martial Arts also helps boost self-esteem and confidence in children.